25.2.10

A better CNY next year ??

I'm back to work again after been away for almost 2 weeks, thanks to my carried forward of 12 days of last year's annual leaves. Like every year, I do felt some blues after the CNY holidays. Well, it's not so much of CNY but rather the thought of the going back to work with the workload waiting for me to act on it and the end of the holiday season. This also prompted me to write my previous post entitled 'Post CNY blues'. I hope I can get over the blues as soon as I started work. :)

Btw, I think CNY atmosphere nowadays is not as great as in the past. Sadly, the 'mood' doesn't seems to be there or was it just me? Well, I thought about it and maybe the following might give me a better a CNY next year:

 - Home entertainment : Stock up more entertaining DVDs (or blu-ray discs) for the festive season. Since the tv programmes on either the RTMs, TV tiga, NTV 7 and 8 channel are so crappy unless you have Astro WLT, maybe it's not a bad idea after all as most of the shopping malls will be closed at least for the first two days. Getting some CNY videos is a good idea too!

- Know your relatives and visit them : I was taken aback when I can't even recognised some of my younger relatives. They have so grown up now! I guess I may not know who they are if we happened to pass by each other at the shopping malls. Maybe it's time to get in touch with them and facebook is a good option. This is better than just 'angpow' exchanges between your cousins and uncles and make the conversations more interesting during visits.

Continued the CNY traditions : Waking up early and dress up in new clothes. Wishing your elderly Gong Xi Fa Cai. Have a vegetarian meal on the first day of CNY. And, maybe it will be great if we can followed the rites (or pantang) of CNY like not washing your hair on the first day, sweeping the floor, cursing ..etc.

Fireworks - Well, it will be great if the authorities can set aside some designated places for fireworks. The ambience is solely missing without fireworks.


Wishing everyone a Happy Chap Goh Meh 2010!

7 comments:

  1. even though i am not in msia i can say that the cny is really not like it used to be, maybe it is our age or bcs of there is no firework, and you are right about not visiting relatives, i can seen my relatives in facebook and i might not recognised them on the street if i havent seen them on facebook hahah

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmm, what do you do for a living?

    ReplyDelete
  3. manglish - true. Bring back the fireworks and keep touch with your relatives. There will be a time where we dunno who our relatives are and CNY is all about staying at home doing nothing and visiting your siblings and close friends.

    jen - i'm in the IT line

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you. CNY spirit and atmosphere seems to diminish every year

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Chris, its nice celebrating CNY where you are.
    My wife and I have no relatives so its just visiting friends, or they visit.
    Save on 'ang paus' though, ha ha.
    Glad you had a great time.
    And yes, it would be nice have fireworks and firecrackers....scare the bad spirits away, ha ha.
    Have a great week, Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  6. BF - yeah, so I thought maybe we can do something to liven up our mood :)

    Uncle Lee - Agreed, how nice if there's fireworks and play it under supervision of the authority at designated places. With that, houses won't burn down or kids won't lost their fingers. You have a good weekend too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Chris, just dropped by say hello.
    How's the family?
    I have always loved Singapore. Still have relatives there, in Opera Estate and if I remember, Clemenceau Ave, Bukit Timah.
    I used to know Singapore very well, as the Mandrarin and Shangrila was my 2nd home in view of my old business days there.

    Is the Lady Hill hotel still operating? One time stayed there few months.
    I used to love going to Bugis street back in the late 70's for makan. As well that big iron market place near harbour front or Beach road?

    Once got lost in Toa Payoh at 2am after sending an SYT home, couldn't find my way out to Bukit Timah, ha ha as every road, apartment looked the same, and nobody around to ask for directions, ha ha.
    Went round in circles till found the way out.
    Yes, Singapore holds lots of memories for me.
    Have a nice day, Lee.

    ReplyDelete